Monday, January 18, 2016

The Syrians are Coming

Because I am very busy these days helping to stage a political revolution (Go Bernie!) in my motherland, I am going to take a break from blogging this week and instead point you in the direction of a brilliantly written blog post on the TESL Ontario blog.

Maria Margaritis shares some well-researched insights on how trauma affects our new refugee arrivals in the classroom and how we can adapt our classroom practice to help more than we hinder their language learning and settlement experiences in light of what they've just been through.

I'm pleased to note that I am already doing a lot of what is recommended, such as fostering community in the classroom and providing a set of routines that learners can count on from day to day. But there are many other ideas I will be looking to implement in the coming weeks.

Thank you, Maria and TESL Ontario Blog!


2 comments:

  1. It's great to see you are already using these strategies Kelly! If you need more ideas with sensory activities, feel free to contact me. I can share whatever I know, and we can also brainstorm on new ideas depending on the needs of your students. I love your blog by the way! Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much, Maria, for taking the time to comment. Right now we are rather swamped with our PBLA training. I'll mark my calendar to come back to this in a few weeks. I really want to tap into more of your ideas!

      Delete

Thank you for participating in this forum. Anonymous commenting is available, but is not intended to shield those taking pot shots at those of us challenging PBLA. If you are here to do that, please use your name.