Sunday, February 14, 2016

Seeking Good Listening Resources

In response to demand from my morning students, ten out of fourteen of whom are Chinese, I am currently seeking the best of the best in the way of listening materials, resources and ideas. 

At one of the TESL Ontario conferences that I attended, I was lucky enough to find a very good workshop on helping our students improve their listening skills. I'll start our new course with those ideas, but I'm going to need at least one or two good texts with CDs that could be my "go to" resources--if such an animal even exists!

The listening texts I've seen at conference book sales and in my colleagues' cabinets have all left me feeling a bit meh. As I thumb through them, I notice they are often full of photos or cartoons of young people talking about going to a disco or to the beach together. They are getting ready for the prom or discussing the popularity of Beyonce's latest hit.  Those materials do not light the fire of a 70-year-old survivor of the Cultural Revolution.

Topics that DO interest my morning students include such things as avoiding phone scammers, frugal living, food security, thrift shopping, diets that contribute to longevity, etc.

Do you have any recommendations for me?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for participating in this forum. Anonymous commenting is available, but is not intended to shield those taking pot shots at those of us challenging PBLA. If you are here to do that, please use your name.