Sunday, June 17, 2018

The Summer Project

Blogger is still not behaving for me. Things seemed to go out of kilter during that whole GDPR compliance frenzy a couple of weeks ago. I'm not sure there's a connection. In any case, I no longer receive an email when someone comments on the blog. I've gone back into settings twice to ensure the right boxes are ticked, but I don't think it's working still. That means I have to remember to log in and check the comments section of the dashboard to know if any comments are pending approval or require a response. I will try to do that ever few days.

I don't have a blog post today and am not planning to blog weekly over the summer. I feel a need to do self care in the form of purposefully not thinking about lesson plans, professional development, or PBLA.

That being said, there are some projects still the works, goals left over from this school term, ones that I have not yet met. Because their completion affects all of you, I want to come back here and to the website to get them finished. Also there are a couple of guest blog posts pending from others. I'm just waiting to receive them. As soon as I do, I'll post them.

The main project is basically to work on the "Canadian Experiment" page of www.kellymorrissey.com. Lately several people have either shared something very valuable to us all in the comments or have told me something during back channel conversations that I think should be shared publicly with all of you. So I need to gather up all these bits and pieces and put them over on that page of the website.  I'm also hoping soon to be able to include an update from Yuliya on her PhD-level research project.


My mom, who is 87, is visiting me now from Little Rock, Arkansas. She arrived today; we spent the whole day getting caught up on each other's news. We have a lot of fun together. She's only here for ten days, so we will be packing a lot into each day. As soon as I have a breather, though, I will be working on the objective mentioned above.

How about you? Are you off for the summer? Working? Going to use some of your summer for PD or PBLA or lesson planning? Or the contrary? I would love to know what is happening with you.

4 comments:

  1. Testing comments. Testing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am going to spend my summer getting as far away - emotionally, intellectually , physically - from binders and PBLA as I possibly can. My students in the past few days have fortunately left me with lovely thoughts, memories, gifts and kind words, and allowed me to see once again why I do the job I do. Maybe I will disappear for the summer, hang out with the people I care about, swim, jog, take a few road trips, go to some music festivals and come back in September to the excellent news that pbla has been trashed ! (well that last part seems unlikely but the rest will happen). have a wonderful and relaxing vacation and thanks for allowing us to vent here. It is really about the only place where we can express our true feelings about the whole fiasco - albeit anonymously. Perhaps one day the masks can come off when we no longer fear for our jobs.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dear "Far Away as Possible,"
      I get you. I am so happy that this blog serendipitously has become that place where we can come to vent or commiserate with others in the same boat. We need that reality check so that we do not end up questioning our own sanity like the poor subject in Solomon Asch's Conformity Experiment. Enjoy your summer! I am.
      https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TYIh4MkcfJA --KM

      Delete
  3. Best of luck with your summer project! Classes are out here, but the work never stops. :)

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for participating in this forum. Anonymous commenting is available, but is not intended to shield those taking pot shots at those of us challenging PBLA. If you are here to do that, please use your name.